Home Forums Start Here Just Started? Begin here.

6 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Mrs. Post 7 months ago
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Mrs. Post
    Keymaster
    @Mrs. Post

So you are just getting started? Fantastic. Let’s get you off on the right foot.

I recommend that everyone get Denise Gaskins book, Let’s Play Math. Denise is the math mom you wish you would have had. When I got this book, it took a huge weight off my shoulders. I was able to breathe and relax and enjoy math time with my kids. That is huge. You need this book.

Are you planning on using Gattegno as a supplement to your current curriculum? Begin with Now Johnny Can Do Arithmetic.
    Gattegno wrote that book for parents to use as a supplement. It’s is full of games and covers a tremendous amount of material that is in the Elementary curriculum.

Are you using Gattegno as a full curriculum?

Everyone should begin at the beginning of textbook 1. If your student is older, they will move through the material fairly quickly a couple weeks. If you have a 5-year-old, it will take a bit longer. We spent 18 months in chapter 3 of Gattegno’s textbook 1 and we didn’t exhaust the richness to be discovered there.

Annie Fetter. Annie Fetter takes a whole bunch of Gattegno’s philosophy and distills it into two words – Notice and Wonder. If you get nothing from Gattegno but these two words and learn to apply them, you will save yourself and your children a ton of grief.

Holli C
    Participant
    @hollisue

I finally got Denise’s book a few weeks ago and it was just what we needed! I really think it complements Gattegno well and is helping us have a more rich and fun math experience!

Mrs. Post
    Keymaster
    @Mrs. Post

So glad you got it! I thought the preface and introduction were worth the price of the book. The rest was icing on the cake. Tons of resources and she takes a load off.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  Mrs. Post.

Amber Giganti
    Participant
    @agig0116

We are about to get started with Gattegno’s Textbook 1 and our task cards from PDL. We have been using Cuisenaire Rods with Miquon and Singapore Math for the past year, so my 7 and 5 year old already know and reference them by their numerical name. When we start next month, should I insist that we start referring to our rods by color name vs their numerical name?

Mrs. Post
    Keymaster
    @Mrs. Post

Two issues, one is giving the rods a number name. In Gattegno, the rods have no number names. One can be anything. Here is a video for you to understand why:

The second issue is using the letter names. I would say yes, you need to use the letter names to study algebra and with Gattegno algebra comes before arithmetic. What we mean by algebra is the study of the symbols and the rules for manipulating them. In the beginning we are not concerned so much with the math facts as we are with how the operations work and what they look like in their various forms. 3w = g can be rewritten as w = 1/3g and 3 = w/g depending on what we want to know. We are looking for the underlying patterns.

I hope that helps.

Amber Giganti
    Participant
    @agig0116

Thank you! For Miquon, number names were learned for the rods within the first few lessons. Hopefully, it won’t be too much of a struggle to change our way of looking at then 🙂

Mrs. Post
    Keymaster
    @Mrs. Post

Most kids figure out on their own what the number names of the rods would be if w=1. And usually, that is the name we would give to the rod, but not always.

Kids generally don’t have a problem switching back and forth. Some students with color blindness and ones who are not used to using the rods may struggle in the beginning. But they make the transition easier than we do.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.